Emma
30 January 2009
Dear Mr. Gallagher,
I would love to do Chuck Close for my artist research paper project. I am very fond of the photorealism style of painting, and it is something that I have been working towards developing my skill in ever since I discovered it my sophomore year. Also, I have been personally experimenting with more abstract forms of artwork, and his realistic portraits of people, such as the hyperlinked Emma are extremely appealing to me because they are composed solely from abstractly-colored tiles. It is a style of painting that I aspire to develop over time.
www.whitecube.com states "Close’s method of painting is always indexical, an incremental process whereby associative colours and shapes build up a pictorial syntax and a recognisable figurative whole." This reminds me of specific types of abstract poetry or literature, where individual parts do not make sense, but the meaning becomes apparent when viewed as a whole. His use of conflicting colors (warm juxtaposed with cold) and shapes to create a unified portrait is extremely interesting, and would be fun to explore as a connection to literary writing style.
Sincerely,
Matthew Zunitch
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment