Howdy folks, Matt here. I have noticed that one of the most prominent and reoccurring topics of discussion about this third of the book is the pervasiveness of sexism/ gender inequality within this tribal community. Besides the numerous instances of spousal abuse, child abuse, and sexist remarks made throughout this portion of the book, I find the practice of polygamy demonstrated in this tribe to embody the inequality theme. In this tribe, a man is often shown having multiple wives, but you would never see a wife having multiple husbands. This demonstrates to me how this culture views women not as human beings, but as items, or even collectibles. They are shown as something that can be collected, obtained, bought, and replaced at will. They can (usually) be beaten without punishment, and in actuality this custom is encouraged in the community as a way for the man of the house to assert his leadership role and "maintain order" in his house. This can be translated almost identically to view the relationship between adults and children in this society. I see one of the major themes of this portion of the novel as being the theme of INEQUALITY, more specifically, the kind of inequality that exists without any substantial rationale behind it. When I noticed the strong inequality theme and the fleeting, almost joking mention of "white" people, and took into account the title of the book (Things Fall Apart, which I highly doubt anyone would be so dense as to overlook or forget), I could not help but take it as foreshadowing. We will see what develops in later portions in the book.
One question I had to ask was:
"ARE WE EVEN SUPPOSED TO LIKE THE MAIN CHARACTER, OKONKWO?"
True, his reasons regarding his father for being strict and such a hard worker seem to be noble. At times, I find myself almost sympathizing with him. However, all too often I find myself reading the book in disgust at things he says or does. Shooting his wife. Beating his family. Blatantly disregarding his tribe's laws. Murdering his own "foster child". All in the name of trying to build up his reputation and erase the past of his father? Seems a little too harsh for me. How does everyone else view Okonkwo?
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment